Whether you're a brand new store starting with brand new software or an existing store making the switch, getting started with ConsignCloud is straightforward. Most every store will want to complete the following steps to get the full benefit of ConsignCloud's features.
Order and install your hardware
ConsignCloud is very flexible when it comes to hardware choices, but we've had the most success with the following combination:
- A computer or tablet with internet access and the most recent version of either Chrome or Firefox. ConsignCloud is built with modern web technologies and will work best with a device made within the last few years. Keep in mind that using a tablet may limit your other hardware options.
- A Star TSP100 receipt printer. Any of the USB, Bluetooth, or Ethernet/LAN models will work with ConsignCloud, but we recommend the USB version (Star TSP100 TSP143U) because it's compatible with the most devices. In any case, you'll need to confirm that your choice is compatible with the computer you're using.
- A DYMO Labelwriter 450 Turbo for item labels. When you order labels, you may use any label size you'd like. The two most popular options are 2.25" x 1.25" (DYM30334) and 3.5" x 2" (DYM30374). Smaller sizes (like 1" x 1") can work, but be aware that they may jam your printer more often and may not be large enough to print certain barcodes.
- A barcode scanner. We recommend a Bluetooth-enabled device like this because it's compatible with the most devices.
Set up your store policies and other defaults
Take a tour of ConsignCloud's Settings and set your store policies and defaults. You can find them by navigating to Menu » Settings. It's important to do this before you enter a lot of inventory because ConsignCloud uses your defaults to help speed you up when you enter items. In particular, you'll want to fill out the following:
- Your Contact Information, which ConsignCloud uses on emails and receipts
- Your Location info, which ConsignCloud uses on emails and receipts
- Your Categories, which are used during item entry and for sales analysis
- Your Taxes, and any Surcharges you wish to apply to most inventory
- Your Consignment defaults, if applicable
- Your Point of Sale preferences
Customize your receipts, item labels and emails to reflect your brand
ConsignCloud includes some basic customizations to receipts and emails that will make your store look more professional. You'll want to head over to Settings and explore both Receipts and Emails and make sure everything is squared away.
Item labels take a little more time but the benefits are huge. We walk you through the entire process in this article.